Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Good Week - 8/19/14



I have adjusted pretty well and I'm enjoying Louisiana. I know that Many has a Wal-Mart and is a nice town but our area is HUGE and the boonies are like as hick as can be. The work is definitely a lot slower than in Sierra Leone. But it's ok. We are working with a ton of less actives and we actually had 1 come back to church! Which was awesome. ok I'll organize my stuff now.

Adjustment: I have really adjusted pretty well. I think having good food really helps haha. I love the southern food here. I'll definitely bring home their secrets hehe. My companion Elder Hacking is a fun guy. He is actually kind of like Adam from 10th ward but quite a bit better. I think that really sums up his personality. So I'm working with that. 

Investigators: We have about 3 descent investigators now. Sadly for the past year quite a few missionaries would member sit and not find anyone so that was lame. But we are progressing! One is a man who was in prison for 10 years but has completely switched his life around and is a very spiritual person and is taking care of his mother who has Altimerze or however you spell it. He is sweet and is ACTUALLY reading his Book of Mormon which is soo cool. And we have some others with potential but still the work is kinda slow. Just gotta get them to church now :)

Members: I really like the members here. It's so funny EVERYONE is family. In all of Many, Fisher, anywhere up here they are all related. It's weird actually having dinner appointments. But then again we had so many investigators in Sierra Leone that we rarely visited the members. There are only a few members and they are very spread apart. To do a home teaching route it takes them like 6 hours. And for some people they have to drive an hour to come to church. 

Spiritual thought: One thing I learned was a greater meaning of what it means to be spiritually reborn. Because literally when we come to this earth we are half dead. We are spiritually dead. So we need to be spiritually reborn through baptism to gain life. That is one reason why baptism is essential to return to our Father in Heaven. Just a fun little thought.

Oh and I got the letters and packages. It really was nice. Though it was weird getting them in only 3 days rather than 8 weeks or never. Anyway life is good here. I'm enjoying. It's gotten a lot better.

Love Elder Christian Lehr

P.S. This mission makes it so that on week 1 of transfers we email on Tuesdays. And it's week 1 here now. 


Yup, I'm staying in Many with Elder Hacking and the shoes are still rocking. What I left there was mainly just what you sent and the giant medical kit. But I have the small one and we have actual health care here. Not obamacare because that's lame but healthcare. And you know me I can never really think of what I need. Maybe jam or homemade salsa or something. Oh and I think I'll try and send you a letter with my SD card so you can back up all the pictures and then do whatever. And I'll send the temple names that I did in Ghana as well. 

And we are now allowed to talk about Sierra Leone as much as we want. Mission Pres told me that :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment